DO I NEED A YEAR IN MY LIFE LIKE THIS?
When college, career, or marriage begins, a year like this will be impossible. This is a unique, undistracted year to encounter God intimately, travel across the world, and discover your potential in Christ. Statistics show that students change their major 2 to 3 times through college resulting in lost time and money. Taking this year off will guide students to determine God's plan for the rest of your life. This initial investment will pay off exponentially in the future. PackYourBags positions students to hear God’s voice through seeking, learning, and serving.
WHY NOT JUST COLLEGE?
We encourage students to attend college. However, with 80% of students entering college with an undecided major and undefined purpose, PYB aims to help students find clear direction before beginning their college or career.
Listen to this podcast by Tim Elmore that discusses the benefits of a program like PYB:
Six Benefits of a Gap Yearas explained by Tim Elmore:
Right-click to download: Resource by "Growingleaders.com"
Gap Year – A year of time between high school and college where exploration, experimentation and work experience is gained.
1. Gives them time to clarify their identity.
- Often students move from one pressurized environment (high-school) to another (college) and don’t have time to think or reflect.
- They are often consumed with “What’s my major?”, “How many credit hours?” and forgot to cement their identity.
- 40% of college students today end up changing their major multiple times because they are wandering and searching for their identity.
- A gap year allows them time to become.
2. Enables them to develop their emotional intelligence.
- Success in college is 25% EQ and 75% IQ.
- Success in the real world is 75% EQ and 25% IQ.
- EQ is rarely taught or developed by sitting in a classroom.
- This gap year allows them to develop EQ before entering into the classroom.
3. Helps them choose a college that actually fits.
- It is better to choose a college that fits each student rather than choosing based on peers.
- This time allows for assessment (pro/con list) to choose a college wisely.
- A gap year helps each student identify their next step (college, work, etc)
4. Equips them to find and stick to their strength zone.
- In this working gap year, they are not just taking literal assessments, but assessing themselves through a job (hands-on projects, phone calls, co-worker interactions, etc).
- These day-to-day assessments allow them to identify certain strengths.
5. Teaches them to find mentors.
- Many of the people they meet during a gap year will become their mentors.
- These meetings and conversations with mentors furnish insights to the career and the life that they desire.
6. Gives them a place to mature.
- Today, kids take longer to grow up because they are over-exposed to information and under-exposed to real life experiences.
- Many university deans are now saying that “26 is the new 18”
- A gap-year gives them the real life experience they need to mature.
PackYourBags is an incredible place to facilitate student growth in a year like this.